Beginning Saturday, December 24th at 8:00 p.m. EST, TBS will continue its holiday tradition of airing one of America’s most beloved Christmas movies, A Christmas Story, for 24 hours straight. TBS began this wonderful holiday tradition fifteen years ago. For years, fans of the movie, starring Peter Billingsley as a mischievous little boy who longs for one special Christmas gift—a Red Ryder BB gun, have looked forward to this heartwarming movie marathon.
The movie’s premise? Young Ralphie Parker sets out to convince his parents (and the world) that he is mature and responsible enough to handle such a “grown up” gift as a Red Ryder BB gun. Melinda Dillon and Darren McGavin starred as his parents, and Ian Petrella played Ralphie’s hilarious little brother.
Fun Facts About A Christmas Story
- Shot on location in Cleveland, Ohio but the film’s setting is Hammond, Indiana. The Parkers live on “Cleveland Street” in the movie.
- Set in the 1940’s
- Based on a 1966 anthology of short stories by American author, Jean Shepherd
- Jean Shepherd has a cameo as the irate man in the Santa line at the department store, and his wife is standing behind him.
- The movie’s director, Bob Clark, has a cameo of the neighbor who marvels at the Leg Lamp from outside.
- To make Flick’s tongue appear to be stuck to the flagpole, they cut a small hole on the pole and had a vacuum hose attached that would suck in Flick’s tongue.
- Jack Nicholson was interested in the role of Ralphie’s father, but the salary he required was double the movie’s budget.
- First opened in theaters around Thanksgiving 1983
- An E! Entertainment poll chose the move as the number one holiday movie of all time
- Peter Billingsley is now a successful movie producer
- TBS first aired A Christmas Story in December 1992, and since that date TBS, TNT and TCM have aired the movie over 250 times.
- Last year, the TBS movie marathon averaged 3 million viewers; by the end of the 24-hour period, 50 million viewers had tuned into the movie
TBS (DISH Network channel 139) can be found on America’s Top 120 package and higher. Don’t forget A Christmas Story marathon beginning Christmas Eve at 8:00 p.m. on TBS on DISH. Have a favorite memory from A Christmas Story or have you watched the entire A Christmas Story marathon? Leave us a comment below!