It’s like a train wreck – you just can’t look away.
We’ve all heard the above expression before and nothing quite sums that up like a television feud – and we’re not talking about the friendly competition on Family Feud. No, we’re talking about a knock-down, dragged-out personality feud that’s so intense that even you, the viewer, feel awkward watching it. But, at the same time, you just can’t change the channel.
Here’s a look at 10 of the top TV feuds of all time:
- Conan O’Brien vs. NBC: Who could forget the epic fallout Conan O’Brien had with NBC months after he took over The Tonight Show from Jay Leno?
- David Letterman vs. Sarah Palin: Following the former Alaska governor’s trip to New York City in 2009, Letterman’s Top 10 list was dedicated to poking fun at Palin. His monologue also offered some jokes not just regarding Palin, but her family. As it turns out Palin wasn’t the greatest sport about it, who proceeded to bash the Late Show host on appearances afterwards.
- Matt Lauer vs. Tom Cruise (pictured above): With scientology as the instigating topic, Lauer and Cruise engaged in a heated 2005 exchange in an interview that began as anything but. Three years later, Cruise came back on The Today Show and made amends.
- DISHTV It’s often a case of Elisabeth vs. the rest of the cast on The View.
- Nicki Minaj vs. Mariah Carey: The two American Idol judges don’t care much for each other (to put it modestly) and the hostility is on full display during the season they shared.
- Bart Simpson vs. Sideshow Bob: TV feuds don’t have to be real-life feuds, such as the case with Bart and the man always trying to kill him in the Fox hit, The Simpsons.
- Jim Halpern vs. Dwight Schrute: The Office is highlighted largely by the hijinks between Jim and Dwight.
- Eminem vs. Carson Daly: Back in the days of MTV’s TRL (Total Request Live), rapper Eminem never would do an interview with Daly and expressed his disdain for the TRL host in several song lyrics. They eventually made amends when Slim Shady high-fived Daly while performing at the MTV Video Music Awards.
- Jon Stewart vs. Jim Cramer: This 2009 feud was all kinds of awesome.
- Keith Olberman vs. Bill O’Reilly: This feud between the two political powers began back in 2003 and shows no signs of slowing down.